Jaksic Family Farm
The Jaksic Family Farm (est. 2009) is a small, non-commercial farm that produces organic food in a natural and sustainable way. The farm is owned and operated by Jaksic family on ~17.85 acres (7.22 hectares) of forests and mountainous farmland. It is located in Republic of Srpska, Southeast Europe, ~25 miles (40 km) east of city of Sarajevo. The farm sits at an elevation of ~3000 feet (1000 meters) in the range of the Dinaric Alps, east of the beautiful Romanija Mountain, right above the Glasinac valley.
How we began
We've all spent most of our lives living and working in cities and decided to go back to the land in order to get closer to the nature. We were inspired by Permaculture, Biodynamics as well as Back to the Land communities from all over the World! We acquired an abandoned piece of rural land in our homeland that has been neglected for decades.
Our lifetime dream is to work together with nature in order to make a simple yet fulfilled living by producing and selling the very same food that our kids eat every day, 100% sustainable, natural and organic. The same way our ancestors survived for thousands of years. We want to re-acquire some old skills that are slowly dying away in an increasingly accelerated, globalized, and especially senseless rhythm that is being imposed on us.
The long term plan is to further expand a biodiversity of our farmland by hosting thousands of bees and trees, free range animals, wildlife as well as many other plants, all living in a natural harmony and symbiotic relationships.
What we do
- We raise only native, or indigenous, plant and animal varieties that are well acclimated to our local conditions and highly disease resistant. We have sheepdogs 🐕, sheep 🐏🐑, domestic chickens 🐓🐣, ducks 🦆, geese, honeybees 🐝 and cat Sofiane 🐈. Our medium-term plan is to start growing mangalica pigs 🐖 as well as to welcome one Bosnian mountain horse 🐎 to our farm.
- We produce three flavors of fruit brandy, made from plums, pears and apples.
- We use only traditional and organic farming methods. Both animal welfare as well as a healthy environment are our highest priorities. In return, we enjoy amazing food, 100% natural, rich in nutrients such are enzymes, minerals, vitamins, fibers, omega-3 acids ...
- We are free of chemicals, concentrates, pesticides, herbicides, antibiotics, GMOs, vaccines, tablets, preparations, artificial fertilizers or even heavy machinery. There are no major pollutants around us.
- Our animals are free range. They move freely all day, even during winter days. They enjoy exceptional mountain air, water and grass with an abundance of different types of wild plants.
- Our farmland is about 20% under forest 🌲🌱. By 2050, we want to drive this number up to 80% or even more, by giving Mother Nature our helping hand. Our land is dominated by deciduous trees (oak, hornbeam, ash, hazel, birch), so we would focus on improving the diversity of the forest and its resilience by planting conifers (spruce, fennel, pine, fir).
- We completely recycle organic matter on our farm. What we don't eat, or our dogs, cats, chickens, we turn it into organic fertilizer. All other materials, from old boards, bricks, wire, pieces of reinforcement, sheet metal and even stones, are fully utilized. Since we bought the land, we cleaned it up from garbage. Now we have more time to focus on cleaning up the surrounding environment, outside of our farm, with our kids.
- Everything we produce is in small quantities, mostly for our own needs. When we sell something, we barely make any profit.
Why we love trees?
We felt in love with our forests and trees. We read about trees, we plant them, we admire them and we fully breathe them every single day! Trees protect our Future. They furnish us with two of life's essentials, oxygen and food! They also combat climate change, improve our air quality, conserve water, preserve soil, fight erosion, absorb dust, block winds, mark the seasons, enable construction of housing and furniture, provide us with paper products, keep us warm as well as support our ecosystem, honeybees and wildlife in general. Trees are both beautiful and majestic. No two are alike. The strength, long lifespan and regal stature of trees give them a monument-like quality. Most of us react to the presence of trees with a warm, pleasant and comfortable feeling. In fact, many people plant trees as living memorials of life-changing events.
To see few nice pictures from our farm, please make sure to visit Gallery page.